Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Hillary Clinton Mini-Series

Hillary Clinton was First Lady of The State of Arkansas, First Lady of The United States of America, United States Senator from The State of New York, Presidential hopeful in 2008 and Secretary of State of The United States of America.  You have to admit, that is a pretty impressive resume.

Now CNN is planning to produce and air a documentary about her.  This has the republicans outraged.  Republican National Committee (RNC) Chairman, Reince Priebus has announced that CNN will not be allowed to air any Presidential debates in 2016.  Is he cutting off his nose to spite his face?  Probably.

Does anyone believe the CNN piece will be anything less than a political commercial for Hillary Clinton?  No.  Does anyone believe she will not run for President in 2016? No.  Does anyone believe the mini-series will make or break her candidacy in 2016?  No.  Will I watch the mini-series?  Probably, but it will not persuade me to vote for Hillary Clinton if she is on the ballot for President in 2016.

Why is the RNC so concerned about the mini-series?  That is the real question.  The RNC should not be concerned about it, but Reince Priebus is terrified.  The RNC does not even have a front runner for 2016 at this time, or a viable strategy for the 2016 Presidential Election.  The only strategy Reince Priebus is willing to put forth at this time is that his party will not play in CNN's yard if he cannot have his way.

I have no idea who I will vote for in 2016, for two very good reason; I haven't seen who is on the ballot yet and have not heard from those who will eventually be on the ballot.  A mini-series that flatters Hillary Clinton will not persuade me to vote for her, assuming she is the eventual democratic candidate for President.  If she is the eventual candidate I want to hear from her, in her own words, her plan for America.

I will listen to Hillary, if she is the eventual candidate for the democrats and decide to pull the lever for her if I believe she is the best candidate for the job.  On the other hand, I will also listen to the candidates for all other parties and decide to pull the lever for one of them if I feel one of them is the best candidate for the job.  That is my right as a voter and I believe it is the best approach for me.  I want the best person on the ballot to sit in the Oval Office after the 2016 Presidential Election.

I like to hear candidates talk about what they offer, not what their opponents do no offer.  When a candidate spends time talking about an opponent's weaknesses, it tells me that the candidate has no plan.  Campaigns are the perfect time to earn voters support based on what a candidate offers.  Unfortunately, most candidates today use that time to politically assassinate opponents.

If you are a political hopeful reading this blog; just tell me what you will do if you are elected.  I will hear, or not hear, the same from your opponent.  I'm not the sharpest tool in the box, but I can listen to both sides and decide for myself who I believe is the best candidate for the job.  If you are a candidate do not take the approach of cutting and running from debates on any news network because that network plans to air a mini-series that will probably flatter your potential opponent.

Let's be honest CNN will always lean to the left and Fox News will always lean to the right.  We all know that.  Therefore, a better job of selecting moderators is important.  Moderators should be impartial and I believe all of the networks do have people who can moderate impartially.  However, the moderators in 2012 did inject themselves and their personal political positions into the debates, and that was wrong.

The bottom line is that Reince Priebus is doing his party's eventual candidate in 2016 a disservice.  Reince is spending far to much time complaining.  He is stating all the things he feels are wrong with CNN and the decision to air a Hillary Clinton mini-series.  His concern and outrage will most likely drive more people to view the mini-series, to see why Reince is so concerned about it.  Reince is the best advertising for the mini-series and CNN does not have to pay a dime for the advertising.

Reince should spend his time stating the his party's plan for America.  Right now, I am left to assume that his party has no plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment